Complete Thyroid Test (Precision Point Diagnostics)
Optimise Thyroid Function to Improve Metabolism, Mood, Brain Function and More
Thyroid dysfunction is one of the most under-addressed conditions in medicine today. When the thyroid is low, people feel fatigued and depressed; they lack motivation, have difficulty losing weight, can’t concentrate and tend to have more trouble with digestion. If the thyroid is off, the entire system may feel run down. Better thyroid function improves immune function, heart health, metabolism, energy levels, as well as sexual and reproductive health.
Assess Thyroid Gland Activity, Peripheral Conversion of Thyroid Hormone and Autoantibodies
Routine thyroid tests miss critical information about thyroid health. The Precision Point Diagnostics Complete Thyroid Panel goes above and beyond routine thyroid tests, which only measure thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) and sometimes total T4. It gives a comprehensive view of thyroid function by measuring TSH, T3 (free and total), T4 (free and total), reverse T3, anti-thyroglobulin and thyroid peroxidase antibodies. This test can be ordered standalone or as part of a consultation.
The Complete Thyroid Profile measures the following from a single blood draw:
- Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) – TSH causes the thyroid gland to make two hormones, T3 and T4, which help control the body’s metabolism. This test is done to find out whether the thyroid gland and brain-thyroid communication are working properly.
- T4, Total – This test measures the total amount of T4 (Thyroxine) in blood.
- T4, Free – Most of the T4 in the body binds to protein, the T4 that does not is called ‘free T4’ and circulates unbound in blood. This test measures the free T4 level individually also.
- T3, Total – T3 (triiodothyronine) is the most important thyroid hormone for the body’s control of metabolism. This test measures the total amount of T3 in blood.
- T3, Free – Most of the T3 in the body binds to protein, the T3 that does not is called ‘free T3’ and circulates unbound in blood. This test measures the free level individually also.
- T3, Reverse – Reverse T3 is converted by the liver from the stored hormone T4, it is the body’s main way of getting rid of unneeded T4 every day. Sometimes the body can make too much reverse T3 from a number of causes including chronic emotional, physical, or biological stress, chronic sickness, after surgery, diabetes, ageing, or an acute injury. This test measures for levels of reverse T3.
- Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Antibody – Thyroid peroxidase (TPO) is an important enzyme for producing thyroid hormone. TPO converts T4 to T3. High levels of TPO antibodies suggest the immune system is mistakenly attacking this enzyme and the thyroid gland, compromising thyroid activity.
- Thyroglobulin (Tg) Antibody – Thyroglobulin (Tg) is a protein produced and used by the thyroid gland to make the hormones T3 and T4. High levels of antibodies to Tg suggest the immune system is mistakenly attacking the thyroid gland.
Negligible admin costs are added to these test kits and they all come with a pre-paid courier bag (and instructions) for you to conduct and send yourself. The results of the tests get sent directly to us and then we forward them on to you the same day along with a brief paragraph of what the results mean (but the reports themselves come with very detailed explanation/description of the results). Thereafter if you would like a consultation (online or in person) to discuss the results, our usual consultation charge would be additional to the functional test.